1.23.2013

27 Weeks! How in the world did we get here!?

Whew!  Things are starting to become more real that I will soon have 2 babies in my arms.

At my 26 week Dr.'s appointment last week I was talking with my OB (who had twins herself) 
and she told me that she delivered her twins at 35 weeks.  
At that moment I got kind of freaked out because if I were to deliver at 35 weeks that meant the babies would be here in 9 weeks....9 WEEKS!!!

The whole concept of me being a mother of twins sunk in nice and deep at that point.

It is CRAZY how quickly 9 months can fly by.

Although I have my freak out moments of, "Oh my gosh, there are TWO babies," and "Ahhh, how are we going to do this?!" I always have bursts of excitement that follow those freak outs.  
And I get so excited!!!

Week 25

Week 26
We forgot to take a pic for Week 26...whoops.  But it's cool to see the difference in the size of my tummy after 2 weeks.

Week 27

The process of getting to this point where we have two children waiting to join our family has been a unique journey.  I remember when Martin and I felt very strongly that adding to our family was what we needed to do.  A lot of prayers went into following that prompting because of so many different factors in our lives (neither of us were done with school, we're both young, etc.).  BUT I cannot deny the firm impression I personally felt that children needed to be in our near future.

Some people know about this, and I have become very open about sharing this, but I was pregnant just a couple months after our decision to try for children.  Sadly, I miscarried that first pregnancy.  Going to the Dr.'s--ecstatic with the expectation of seeing your baby--and leaving with a broken heart was devastating.

Martin and I were so blessed by the love and compassion of others though.  

It took courage to tell people (other than close friends and family) about what happened, but telling people was one of the best decisions we made.  I learned of many more families who endured the same tragedy and we felt so much comfort from talking with them.  I strongly believe that suffering in silence is not what God intended us to do when we face trials.  Angels surround us and God often acts through the people who are our neighbors, friends, family, and even complete strangers.

Well, four months after our very sad experience, we were blessed with another pregnancy.  And this time, there was not only one strong heart beat to hear...but TWO!!! 
Oh what a joyous experience, truly.  I smile thinking about it :)

Now, 27 weeks later we have SO much joy knowing that our babies are growing, healthy, and active.
I've been feeling them kick like crazy and it is so fun! As they get bigger the kicks become more noticeable.  You should see my stomach move when these babies are turning
and kicking...crazy stuff.

I had a nasty cold last week, but I am getting over it.  I have discovered that it is NO fun coughing with a big ol belly.  Martin has been so kind and patient though, he just helps me along and takes very good care of me :)
I am so blessed.  So blessed.

Our journey to this point genuinely amazes me.  Everything truly does happen for a reason.



8 comments:

  1. you are wonderful, katy carney! you'll be an incredible mother, and i'm sure marty will be an excellent dad! can't wait to see your precious babies. thanks for being such a great example!

    xo,
    anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I just love you and thanks for being so sweet :) I love reading your updates on your adventures in Peru.

      Delete
  2. You are a beautiful young lady. My mom had a miscarriage before she had me. She has told me how much it hurt her but that having me afterwards was the biggest blessing she could have been given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, you are a very kind and sweet young lady. I can definitely appreciate what your mom means.

      Delete
  3. Katy! Your story touched me! We have gone through that very thing. The strong impression tostart trying (still being in school) and the excitement of discovering a pregnancy, with a miscarriage that followed just one day after announcing to our families. It was definitely a trial and heartbreaking, but we have both felt a lot of growth in faith and testimony! I'm so excited for the birth of your babies! You will be so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sierra! My heart goes out to you both. Isn't it amazing what good can come out of such difficult trials?! It's like...I would never wish the same experience on someone else, but I would never trade back what I've learned from it. YOU are an amazing girl and I hope you and your hubby are doing well!

      Delete
  4. I love this story, I love your life and how you will have twins. Thanks for being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that YOU will have a baby boy in like a month!!! Yay for baby Showley!

      Delete