8.19.2012

Life as Minnesoootans

One thing I have dreamed about having for years and years is...an accent. I LOVE to do different accents and I do them multiple times a day as I say random things.  Actually, the other day I was explaining a game at a church activity with all the teenage girls and I said, "You're the winner!" in a Russian accent and it sounded more like, "You're zee weener!" and the giggles started and let's just say the girls will not be letting me live that down.  Anyways, Minnesota has its own accent, very similar to a Wisconsin accent.  Think back to the early 1990's cartoon Bobby's World, then picture his mom saying, "Dooon't cha knooow," and you've got it!  Here's a YouTube video if you don't know what I'm talking about:



Well, Martin has caught me talking in a Minnesotan accent several times, but they weren't on purpose...not sure how I feel about the fact that it's already happening after being here for only a month.  I'm realizing I no longer just want to have any accent - I've narrowed it down to only wanting a soft southern belle or Australian accent, no offense Minnesota.

So now that I am beginning to talk like a Minnesotan that must mean we are officially settled!  We have been able to meet some awesome people through church and Marty's work.  We have completely lucked out in the friend department because there are several young married couples that we've been able to hang out with and they are tons of fun!  We've been able to go explore the area quite a bit.  This is what we've been up to in the Twin Cities:

 Smoothie Contest

 We got to taste-test tons of smoothies.
Nastiest: Jalapeno bacon (so gross.)
Tastiest: My vote = Honeydew boba 
Martin's vote = Strawberry-banana (because it came in the biggest cup)

First day of work

Marty is loving his job and the company loves him - who couldn't though?!


FREE Zoo in Minneapolis

 Our attempt to create a BYU Cougars picture - Go BYU!

 Look at how huge the bear is compared to the little girls right on the other side of the glass

 Orangutan family grooming time


We went to a Saints game with Martin's work
The Saints are a minor league team here

 We got free clay and it was a slow game so we entertained ourselves


Fireworks after the game


Church
Both of us get to be leaders for the youth in our church, it's so fun. 
This is a picture of glow-in-the-dark mini-golfing with the girls
We also got to talk in the sermon part of our church this last Sunday and that was really great.  I spoke about hope and Marty spoke about faith.  It's neat to see how our hope in the future and faith have developed as we've moved and genuinely had to have a lot of hope and faith that this is the right place for us to be right now.
Basically, we're doing great, seriously life is wonderful right now.  I can't help but smile.  I'm still looking for a job, but it's really cool because I am starting to recognize a small portion of God's plan for us.  I've worked so hard and felt pretty frustrated because numerous jobs come my way or progress and then something comes up where I either don't feel right about the job or the hiring comes to a halt.  But several prayers of mine have been answered and I'm starting to be able to say, "So that's why that happened!"  God is seriously so great.  And my mom comes out to visit in just 4 days so I'm super excited!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and hearing about your fun new adventures! Glad everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I especially loved your attempt at a BYU Cougar picture. Love you!

    ReplyDelete