7.05.2012

Genuine Joy

It has been a REALLY long time since we've posted.  So much has been going on and we have so much to document, unfortunately, that documenting is going to have to wait just a tiny bit longer.  And just a forewarning, there is a whole lot of randomness, zero pictures, and a lot of individual thoughts I've had and have been hoping to get down on paper (or posts I guess). 

We're about to move to Minnesota!  We've been waiting all summer for this and it is actually here.  It's hard to believe.  So life is kinda crazy right now...Marty is taking the GMAT in less than 10 hours, we're packing, we're cleaning, trying to get our goodbyes in, etc.

The reason why I'm posting is because today has been a genuinely wonderful day.  Seriously! I just want to document an ounce of the happiness Marty and I have together.  Nothing huge happened, but that's the spectacular thing...everyday life is so joyous!  Today we had a lazy morning and slept in then ate breakfast in our cool Color Me Mine ceramic bowls that we painted a couple of weeks ago (pictures to come).  Then I did some cleaning/packing while Marty studied for his big test tomorrow.  I went to yoga with Kathryn (one of the best roommates I could have ever asked for).  I went and got a much needed haircut afterwards, chatted with my wonderful mom on the phone, and came home to my handsome husband. We grilled some chicken for dinner, watched a movie, and now I'm blogging while Marty is getting some last minute studying in.

All of that stuff that we did is pretty...ordinary.  But it's the little things that happened that put a huge smile on my face.  While grilling we found three huge snails in our patio area!  They were so cool!  And those things could move!  I was amazed by how fast and strong such a gooey, odd looking creature was. 

Then, in the middle of our movie we looked outside and it was POURING rain!  OK, one thing about me is I love the rain.  And love is an understatement.  My brothers and I used to play in the rain a lot growing up and I just think the rain is so refreshing and invigorating!  Anyways, I looked at Marty and said, "Want to play in the rain?!" And within 5 seconds we were outside running in the street, jumping in puddles, reaching our arms out and soaking up the rain!  We even had a classic moment of a neighbor yelling out to us, "What in the world are you guys doing?"  Ahhhhh, it was so exhilarating!!!  I even got to kiss my handsome husband in the rain :)

And I got to snuggle with the love of my life, even though our apartment is basically 100 degrees.  And snuggle time is precious!  We giggled as we watched a movie and created new inside jokes and just smiled being together.  Martin brings me so much joy, I am amazed at how much human beings are able to love! I knew I loved him when I married him, but it is incredible to see how much more that love has grown!  Truly, every day just gets better no matter what life brings us.

And this morning while Martin was studying and I was working on stuff he came and gave me a big hug and twirled me around and danced with me.  We can't help but laugh because I am definitely not the best dancer in the world.  Let's just say I inherited my father's dancing genes.  But we have so much fun and Martin still dips me back even though half the time I spaz out.  Today though, he dipped me and I did it somewhat gracefully!  The only awkward thing I did was make a ridiculous face because I thought he was dropping me.  But no fear, he kept me safe.

Then today while we were reading the scriptures I actually got pretty excited and enthralled in what was going on.  I don't mean to sound like the scriptures have bored me all my life, because they haven't, but today I felt an energy towards reading them that was so refreshing.  There are so many wonderful things to learn from the ancient books we have.  God loves us.  And I see His love through the materials he has provided us.  He gives us so many tender mercies that often we don't even notice.  But today I am thankful that He's opened my eyes a little bit wider so I can see the wonderful world around me a little more clearly.

More than anything, I simply felt so much joy today. I am so blessed to have married Martin and to have this life with him.  I can't help but smile :)  It's the happiness that you can see in people's eyes.  The joy that puts crows feet at the corner of someone's eyes because they've smiled for much of their life.  Genuinely, I feel pure joy in my heart and I am so thankful for how blessed I am.

6 comments:

  1. u just made me want to go create more good memories w/ my family. i'm in the middle of writing a talk about not just being a Sunday mormon and how i think about blogging my testimony for posterity and current friends, then while going to check kmy blog to see when i wrote about praying to find my keys, i see your post. and i read it. and i'm happy for you guys. and YOU blogged YOUR testimony. and you mentioned reading scriptures daily. and mentioned pure joy. and it was pouring here the other day (like crazy tropical storm tree branches flying storming) and then when it was raining i thought about taking my kids out in the rain to splash around but didn't b/c i know steven would be like your classic neaighbor thinking we were crazy b/c of bacteria in the water, but i should have done it. we used to do it as kids. so yea, i'll create more memories w/ the spontenaety that you two have. oh yea, and martin's studying, so good luck to him!! and he's not stressed? that seems like a stressful time. i just listened to your music video about "it just keeps getting better" too:) love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, you just made my day! I honestly didn't even post thinking "I'm going to bear my testimony" but it was so cool to realize (after you pointed it out) that we can bear our testimonies in simple ways like this. You are such a fantastic mom, I take notes on what you do with all your kids so I can do that with mine someday! Good luck on your talk. I just want to point out that you LIVE your testimony and I see it in how you are such an amazing mom, wife to Steven, and friend. Martin took his test yesterday and it went well! He got a 660 out of 800 which puts him in the 81st percentile...so that's good! He's relieved it's finally done. OK, this is a novel of a response, but thanks for commenting :) I really do miss you!

      Delete
  2. I love love love this post. You two are my favorite. I love your special, happy, unique love you have between you two, just like it should be between any happy couple :) You guys always find such an adventure in everything you're doing, and you have so many adventures ahead of you! I'm so glad that you two are in my life, and I can't wait to hear about all your exciting life events! I love you and this blogs, and your transparency to be honest on your feelings, your joy, and your happiness! You make me so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and by the way. I totally noticed your haircut tonight but didn't say anything. I'm just glad to know that I was right :) and it was super cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you!!! Haha, thanks for the haircut comment, you're so funny and I love that you wanted to make sure you said something about it -- basically, you're an awesome friend! Oh, and you and Tim have that exact same joy in your marriage so I'm glad you know exactly what I'm talking about! You're great :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for your post. It made me smile after a long day imagining you two so happy together playing in the rain! Where in Minnesota will you be?

    ReplyDelete